Thursday, June 25, 2015

The AC adapter currently connected is not supported. System will continue on battery

Question:
my M17x used for 2 years and for some reason when I plug in the AC adapter it often says plugged in not charging.  I have to unplug it then plug it in several times before it decides to begin charging again. 
I had the following error when I plugged it in my computer  (alienware  M17x R2)
"Th AC adapter currently connected is not supported. System will continue on battery. "
On rebooting the computer, it came up with the following  message
"The AC power adapter wattage cannot be determined.
The battery may not charge.
The system will adjust the performance to match power available.
Please connect a Dell 180w AC adapter or greater for best sytem performance "
Despite altering the windows power settings the computer still runs below speed. From my research this is due to the power adapter settings being hard coded and are unable to be altered.



Suggested answer:
I have also been having this problem with my m17xr2. (my laptop adapter information: GA240PE1-00/Y044M/ADP-240AB B laptop ac adapter, DELL 19.5V 240W adapters ,Input Voltage: 120V-240V 50/60hz,Output Voltage: 19.5V,Output Current: 12.3A (240W),Connector: 7.4mm*5.0mm)
I am a software programmer and spent a couple of hours looking into this problem.

I believe i have found the solution for this problem. I called Alienware tech support and spoke to a manager and they said they had found a solution and that was to flash the bios two or three times.

Can anyone that is still having this problem please try this solution and let me know if it works?..Thanks EVA
This did not work for me. Although, i did some more research and it appears this is a windows software problem. 
I found this solution and it appears to be working. I have shut down the computer and restarted several times and i can remove the ac adapter and plug it back in and it charges now. Hope this helps...Mike
1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 
2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)
3. close lid and connect battery
4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

No comments:

Post a Comment